Genshin Impact introduced seven elements in its release yet only six elements were playable at launch. It wasn’t until Version 3.0 that the final element, Dendro, was added alongside Sumeru and completely shook the meta. However, players did get a tease of what was to come back in Liyue when the Traveler met the good Dr. Baizhu and his talking pet snake Changsheng who visibly wore a Dendro vision which built anticipation for his eventual release.
Baizhu is the owner of Bubu Pharmacy and the caretaker of Qiqi. He is known for his great reputation for his benevolence and his effective yet bitter medicines. His Dendro vision is nothing but a reflection of his expertise in identifying and concocting medicinal herbs. Despite his frail and sickly constitution, Baizhu will act in times of need and uses his catalyst to protect and heal allies in battles.
Let’s explore the secrets of Baizhu and Changseng’s ancient medicinal arts and protect your team’s well-being with the right artifacts, weapons, and talent leveling.
Best Artifact Set for Baizhu
An esteemed doctor like Baizhu needs proper equipment for any operation. Players can equip the following artifact sets on him to get the best results.
The Deepwood Memories artifact set grants the following effects:
- 2-Piece Set: Dendro DMG Bonus +15%
- 4-Piece Set: After Elemental Skills or Bursts hit opponents, the targets’ Dendro RES will be decreased by 30% for 8s. This effect can be triggered even if the equipping character is not on the field.
Deepwood Memories is an easy choice for any Dendro character. It grants the user bonus Dendro damage as well as the ability to shred their Dendro resistances thereby making enemies vulnerable to elemental reactions. This is perfect for Baizhu due to his catalyst weapon type which allows him to continuously apply Dendro.
The Ocean-Hued Clam artifact set grants the following effects:
- 2-Piece Set: Healing Bonus +15%
- 4-Piece Set: When the character equipping this artifact set heals a character in the party, a Sea-Dyed Foam will appear for 3 seconds, accumulating the amount of HP recovered from healing (including overflow healing). At the end of the duration, the Sea-Dyed Foam will explode, dealing DMG to nearby opponents based on 90% of the accumulated healing. (This DMG is calculated similarly to Reactions such as Electro-Charged, and Superconduct, but is not affected by Elemental Mastery, Character Levels, or Reaction DMG Bonuses). Only one Sea-Dyed Foam can be produced every 3.5 seconds. Each Sea-Dyed Foam can accumulate up to 30,000 HP (including overflow healing). There can be no more than one Sea-Dyed Foam active at any given time. This effect can still be triggered even when the character who is using this artifact set is not on the field.
Since Baizhu is going to be busy keeping his allies’ health topped up all the time, why not add damage that scales off of his healing while you’re at it? Unlock his ‘Harmacist’ route by using a full set of Ocean-Hued Clam, giving him the damage he needs without losing so much value on his healing.
Artifact Stats to Prioritize
While Baizhu’s health condition is quite poor in his lore, his healing gameplay requires you to build around his HP stat. Thus, here’s our prescription for what stats he needs to get better.
- HP% (Sands or All Main-stats)
- Elemental Mastery / Energy Recharge (Sands or substats)
- Healing Bonus or CRIT Rate (Circlet/Optional or substats)
- Denro DMG Bonus (Goblet/Optional)
His HP stat lies at the crux of Baizhu’s kit so the easiest way for a player to build him is to invest on HP%. With HP% as the main stat on all of his artifacts, he’ll be able to deliver beefy shields and heals. It also synergizes with his passive talent that amplifies Dendro based reaction based on his HP.
Other than HP, Baizhu also needs a lot of Energy Recharge. 200% Energy Recharge would be sufficient in keeping his high-cost Elemental Burst uptime optimized. Elemental Mastery is always good to have since Dendro can enable some powerful elemental reactions. A Healing Bonus circlet would be great if paired with the 4-Piece Ocean-Hued Clam set and CRIT Rate circlet goes well with the Favonius Codex as his weapon. A Dendro DMG Bonus goblet is optional if you want to build Baizhu as an on-field DPS but generally not recommended for support build.
Best Weapons for Baizhu
The pool of premium catalyst weapons to choose from is quite shallow if you want him to purely be a support. Still, Dr. Baizhu can still use the following to good effect and deal with “challenging patients”.
- Jadefall’s Splendor (HP%) – For 3s after using an Elemental Burst or creating a shield, the equipping character can gain the Primordial Jade Regalia effect: Restore 4.5 Energy every 2.5s, and gain 0.3% Elemental DMG Bonus for their corresponding Elemental Type for every 1,000 Max HP they possess, up to 12%. Primordial Jade Regalia will still take effect even if the equipping character is not on the field.
First in the list will obviously be Baizhu’s dedicated 5-Star weapon, Jadefall’s Splendor, as its made with his kit in mind. This weapon gives Baizhu the stats he scales with and compensates for his lack of damage when building full-tank support with its passive Elemental Bonus DMG, which most players default to. Its effect to regenerate Energy also makes it easier for him to charge his Elemental Burst.
- Everlasting Moonglow (HP%) – Healing Bonus increased by 10%, Normal Attack DMG is increased by 1% of the Max HP of the character equipping this weapon. For 12s after using an Elemental Burst, Normal Attacks that hit opponents will restore 0.6 Energy. Energy can be restored this way once every 0.1s.
Everlasting Moonglow is a close second to Jadefall’s Splendor. It comes with a massive HP% stat and innate Healing Bonus. This weapon is sometimes used by off-meta players who enjoy playing Baizhu as normal attacking sub-DPS during his Elemental Burst as its effects regenerates his Energy with every Normal Attack. A still premium but more available substitute weapon for an on-field sub-DPS Baizhu is the Skyward Atlas.
- A Thousand Floating Dreams (Elemental Mastery) – Party members other than the equipping character will provide the equipping character with buffs based on whether their Elemental Type is the same as the latter or not. If their Elemental Types are the same, increase Elemental Mastery by 32. If not, increase the equipping character’s DMG Bonus from their Elemental Type by 10%. Each of the aforementioned effects can have up to 3 stacks. Additionally, all nearby party members other than the equipping character will have their Elemental Mastery increased by 40. Multiple such effects from multiple such weapons can stack.
As an off-field support and a Dendro character, A Thousand Floating Dreams is generally a good choice for Dendro related reactions as it gives a massive Elemental Mastery stat and buffs your whole team’s damage passively. With Baizhu’s passive talents, Dendro based reactions will also be greatly amplified, making this weapon perfect for Bloom based reaction teams.
5-Star weapons are usually hard to come by but fortunately for us, weapons with lower rarities still offer so much utility for support characters.
- Prototype Amber (HP%) – Using an Elemental Burst regenerates 4 Energy every 2s for 6s. All party members will regenerate 4% HP every 2s for this duration.
This craftable weapon is one of the best catalysts for Baizhu due to its HP% secondary stat and gives Baizhu some energy recharge to get his Elemental Burst as soon as possible. Players can also improve this weapon with further refinements to reach its maximum potential.
- Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers (HP%) – When switching characters, the new character taking the field has their ATK increased by 24% for 10s. This effect can only occur once every 20s.
Another weapon that is fairly easy to obtain is this 3-Star catalyst, Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers. It’s obtainable through wishes and high level chests in the game. It doesn’t give a lot of stats due to its rarity but its maxed out weapon effect make it a fantastic choice for Baizhu’s off-field support role.
- Favonius Codex (Energy Recharge) – CRIT hits have a 60% chance to generate a small amount of Elemental Particles, which will regenerate 6 Energy for the character. Can only occur once every 12s.
Every support character that relies on their Elemental Burst to function can always rely on the Favonius weapon series due to their powerful weapon effect that can effectively cut down their energy requirements. Coupled with a great amount of Energy Recharge, it allows Baizhu to trade critical hits for energy particle generation.
Baizhu’s Talent Priorities
Baizhu specializes in medicine and treating his patients effectively but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know where to make it hurt either. Don’t slack off on leveling his talents and max them in this order, from most important to least:
- Holistic Revivification (Elemental Burst) – Baizhu will generate a shield every 2.5 seconds for 12 seconds, healing the active character and attacking enemies, applying and dealing Dendro DMG once it breaks or resets. The shield and heal scales with Baizhu’s max health. This is Baizhu’s 3-in-1 ability, it is suggested you maximize this first.
- Universal Diagnosis (Elemental Skill) – Baizhu controls a Gossamer Sprite, attacking up to 3 enemies, dealing Dendro damage and once finished attacking, it returns to Baizhu, healing all nearby teammates based on Baizhu’s max health.
- The Classics of Acupuncture (Normal Attack) – Baizhu will perform up to 4 consecutive attacks, hitting those acupuncture points that deal Dendro damage. When held down, Baizhu will consume a certain amount of stamina to deal AoE Dendro DMG to enemies in front of him.
Unlike other shields, Baizhu’s shield is not constantly up. It pulses at specific intervals where it would then deal Dendro DMG to enemies during its downtime before coming back up. This can pose a challenge especially if an enemy manages to damage you while your shields are down. It’s for this reason that we suggest utilizing his shield as a defense against stagger rather than to allow it to tank damage outright. Baizhu’s passive of multiplying Dendro reactions damage is only active during his Elemental Burst so casting his Elemental Skill before it will make his short floor time more productive.
Baizhu Team Comp
Baizhu’s services come as a full package. A Dendro healer, shielder, and off-field Dendro applier- he’s the perfect medic for hyper-carries that can take advantage of his consistent Dendro element application. The following characters would love to have the doctor on their teams:
- Kaeya (Cryo applier for Fridge Teams, freezing enemies for a guaranteed Bloom hit)
- Kazuha (For CC and grouping up Dendro cores)
- Ayato (Hydro DPS that would also trigger bloom effects)
- Xingqiu (Hydro sub-DPS and applier, perfect combination for Bloom reactions)
- Cyno (Electro hyper-carry that would be on field that needs extra resistance for survivability)
- Keqing (Electro DPS that would also need resistances on-field for Aggravate teams)
- Fischl (off-field Electro sub-DPS support for Aggravate and Hyperbloom reactions)
- Alhaitham (Dendro DPS and Dendro applier)
If you’re bored of playing your usual Aggravate and Hyperbloom teams, try him out on a ‘Fridge’ Team which involves using a Cryo character to freeze enemies in place to allow Bloom cores to explode on them. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with his Skill and Burst rotation to ensure that Baizhu captures the energy particles necessary to charge his Burst before switching to your team’s DPS so that it’ll be ready for the next rotation. With the correct dosage of investments and allocation of resources, Dr. Baizhu is sure to cure your pains in Genshin Impact.