Tarot cards offer us insights into our inner world, the world around us, and our relationships with others so. Because of this, it’s not uncommon to see love tarot readings online either in your YouTube or TikTok suggestions or on Pinterest where a lot of tarot spreads can be found. While it’s the most popular way of using tarot cards for relationships, you can also use the cards to get a quick peep and perspective into your platonic relationships.
These friendship spreads try can help you pin down everything from your compatibility with a friend, the way you relate to each other, and even how your friendship has taught you valuable life lessons. While most of the spreads focus on one-on-one friendships, there are a few here that you can use for gauging your and your friend group’s compatibility.
A Friendship Tarot Spread for Your Friendship Skills
This elaborate nine-card spread goes over the details of your dynamics with your friend of choice. Since it’s very in-depth and personal, it’s easier to do this with someone you have a closer platonic relationship with than someone who’s newer to your social circle. We recommend using it with a best friend or just someone you’ve known for a long time. According to its creator, Mark Masparrow, this spread talks about how you can improve the way you treat your friends and how to improve your friendship skills in general.
The spread starts with an existing friendship which is why you’ll need to have a relationship in mind to use as a point of reference for this friendship tarot spread. The cards in position correspond to as follows:
- Card 1: What is the current state of your friendship or friendships?
- Card 2: What is the major challenge you run into or problem that keeps happening in your friendship?
- Card 3: Which of your friendship skills need improving?
- Card 4: What is your best skill or draw as a friend? This will clue you into what quality you have that makes people want to be friends with you.
- Card 5: What makes people not want to be your friend? As negative as this sounds, there are traits that we have that make people pull away or make it hard for them to be around us even if they love us.
- Card 6: What do you need to do to maintain a healthy relationship with your friends?
- Card 7: Where can you develop new friendships? These will likely talk about new hobbies, activities, or jobs that will put you in contact with a new group of people.
- Card 8: What kind of friend are you looking to have in your life? Or alternatively, what kind of friend do you need?
- Card 9: This final card will tell you about what will be the reason you and this new coming friend will connect with each other.
A Spread That Tells You About How You Show and Receive Platonic Love
You’ve probably heard about love languages and relational styles by now given how oft-beaten that path is in lifestyle-type content. This friendship tarot spread tries to give you a look into the way you show and receive platonic love as well as how the other person in this friendship tries to show you how they love you. It’s a great spread for when you question how you stand in the friendship and whether there is real support happening between you two.
- Card 1: This card represents you. It can give insight into the personality and relationship style you show this other person.
- Card 2: This card represents the other person. Ask yourself what side of themselves do they show you in this friendship?
- Card 3: What do you feel is the most important thing in a friendship? That is, what makes this a friendship for you instead of an acquaintance?
- Card 4: This is what makes this other person consider you a friend and a special person in their life.
- Card 5: How do you typically show this person your friendship and support?
- Card 6: How does this person show you their friendship and support? This is a good card to pay attention to if you want clarity on whether there are cues that you missed in the friendship that could have deepened your connection.
- Card 7: What type of care and support are you most receptive to? What do you notice this person always providing you with?
- Card 8: What does this friend often get from you? What do they notice you giving them as a friend?
Your Friendship in Seasons
Everything in life goes through its own seasons and cycles — that’s the lesson shown in the major arcana card, The Wheel of Fortune. So as nature goes through its own springs and winters, so do our internal emotional rhythms and the way we touch each other’s lives. This friendship tarot spread is all about the seasons in your friendship. It’s great for looking back on friendships that have lasted years due to the spread’s reliance on milestones and landmarks in life. It’s a massive spread with nine cards involved in total, each of which corresponds to the following:
- Card 1: The first card refers to the time before the emergence of your friendship. What were you like before and at the initial encounter with this friend or group of friends?
- Card 2: Imagine this as the spring of your friendship. What caused you and your friend or friend group to come together?
- Card 3: What allowed this friendship to come into bloom? In more solid terms, what made the relationship deeper and allowed you to call it a true friendship?
- Card 4: Summer is the season for reaping and celebration. What big wins have you and this friend experienced and shared with each other during the duration of the friendship?
- Card 5: As your friendship grows, what do you find has been the reason why you and your friend have maintained a close relationship throughout the years?
- Card 6: Fall is a time when nights are longer and days are shorter. What low points of your lives have you and this friend shared?
- Card 7: How have you and this friend supported each other in tough times throughout your friendship?
- Card 8: Winter marks the end of a cycle and maybe the cooling of your relationships. What is the most common reason you and your friend have misunderstandings?
- Card 9: While the end of a cycle can feel scary, it is also a sign of completion and wholeness. What is the reason why you and your friend will remain friends through the next seasons?
A Compatability Friendship Tarot Spread
This compatibility friendship tarot spread is an adapted version of the romantic relationship compatibility spread from Labyrinthos. This talks about what a friend and you want to get out of a platonic relationship and your compatibility with each other. It has a strong structure that divides the reading between you and the other person so you may want to use this for a reading with a close friend or, if you want to see where a friendship will go, with a new friend.
- Card 1: What are you looking for in this friendship? This is to see if your goals for the relationship align or not.
- Card 2: What is this person looking for in this friendship?
- Card 3: How do you express their needs in a friendship? This is to see if you can easily understand where the other person is coming from or if your friendship will need a little more effort.
- Card 4: How do they express their needs in friendship?
- Card 5: What about your personalities are similar?
- Card 6: What about your personalities are different?
- Card 7: What do you need to both focus on to make this friendship work?
What Are the Best Cards to Get In A Friendship Tarot Spread?
While there are really no bad cards, there are some cards that you can take as a sign of especially good relationships with your friends. The Three of Cups often depicts three women with their cups raised in celebration if you’re using a Rider-Waite deck. This card speaks of friendship and, more specifically, celebrating with friends. The Two of Cups is also a great card since it’s all about deep, one-on-one relationships.
The Ten of Pentacles, despite its suit, is also a good card to get because of its connotations of abundance and stability. This could mean a friend for life, someone you can trust for years to come.
Another good friendship tarot card is the Four of Wands which is a celebratory and communal card just like the Three of Cups. it’s a symbol of safety, comfort, and happiness.
Hopefully, these tarot spreads will help you find clarity in your friendships and the way you approach platonic relationships in general. If you want to check out more tarot spreads, we’ve got some more fun tarot spreads for you to try out this year.