Are you interested in showcasing your impressive knowledge of movies? Gather your friends or family and see how many questions you can get right out of our 101 handpicked pieces of trivia, ranging from questions anyone can answer to questions only true film savants will be able to get right. There are 101 pieces of movie trivia in this list, evenly spread throughout five categories ranging from very easy all the way to obscure.
If you’d like to make it a little more competitive, you can give points ranging from 1-5 for each question answered correctly. You can decide to go for an Obscure question for 5 points or play it safe and take something from Easy for 2 points. Keep track on a piece of paper or your phone and keep playing until you’ve answered all the questions or have a clear winner!
The answers are in bold below each question. Ideally, you’d have a Trivia Master who gives out the questions to avoid someone seeing the answers to a future question, but you can also play it on the honor system and pass your phone back and forth when it’s your turn to rack your brain for that film from the 80s you saw a long time ago. Either way, have fun with these 101 movie trivia questions!
1. What is the name of Wes Craven’s antagonist that invades your dreams?
A: Freddy Kreuger
2. What is the first rule of Fight Club?
A: You do not talk about Fight Club.
3. What legendary actor played the Godfather in The Godfather?
A: Marlon Brando
4. The hockey-masked killer that stalks residents of Camp Crystal Lake is named what?
5. Rocky from the movies of the same name is played by who?
A: Sylvester Stallone
6. Alfred Hitchcock’s famous shower horror scene is from what movie?
7. In the first Harry Potter film, how do the students get onto Platform 9 ¾?
A: They run through a wall.
8. In The Lord of the Rings, what is the name of the wizard that helps Frodo and the Fellowship?
9. What is the name of Tom Hank’s friend when he is stuck on a deserted island in Cast Away?
10. What Jim Carrey movie is secretly a TV show about his character’s life?
A: The Truman Show
11. Finish Buzz Lightyear’s famous quote: “To infinity and ______”
12. In Jordan Peele’s Get Out, what does the Armitage family want from Chris?
A: His body
13. Batman’s famous nemesis is?
14. In Shrek, what does Shrek compare ogres to in an analogy?
15. What is life like, according to Forrest Gump’s mother?
A: A box of chocolates.
16. What does Rose cling to for safety after the sinking of the Titanic?
A: A door
17. What does Gollum call the One Ring in The Lord of the Rings?
A: My precious
18. What are the names of the Weasley twins in Harry Potter?
A: Fred and George
19. What vampire movie did Robert Pattinson star in alongside Kristen Stewart?
20. Who stars alongside Jackie Chan in the buddy cop film Rush Hour?
A: Chris Tucker
21. In the original Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder, what happens to Veruca Salt?
A: She is declared a bad egg and sent to the incinerator.
22. How many suns does the planet Tatooine have in Star Wars?
23. In The Matrix, what pill does Neo take?
A: The red pill
24. Who played Detective Rick Deckard in Blade Runner?
A: Harrison Ford
25. What is the name of Riley’s imaginary friend in Pixar’s Inside Out?
A: Bing Bong
26. What is the name of the computer gone rogue in Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey?
27. Ke Huy Quan’s first appearance on screen is what 1984 movie?
A: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
28. What are the final words of Charles Kane in Citizen Kane?
29. What is the name of the resort that Jack Torrance and his family become caretakers of in The Shining?
A: The Overlook Hotel
30. In The Departed, which actor plays the rat inside the Massachusetts State Police and feeds information to Costello (Jack Nicholson)?
A: Matt Damon
31. What is the nickname of the sole surviving girl found at the colony in Aliens? Bonus points: What was her actual name?
A: Newt, Rebecca
32. What year do they go back to in Back to the Future?
33. In Avengers: Infinity War, what does Thanos say to Thor after the latter stabs the former in the chest with his axe?
A: You should have gone for the head.
34. In Pulp Fiction, what does Mia mistakenly snort and overdose on?
35. What is the name of the moon where the events of the film take place in James Cameron’s Avatar?
36. What country does Forrest Gump travel to for a ping-pong tournament?
37. What movie is this famous line from: “I wish I knew how to quit you.”?
A: Brokeback Mountain
38. Indiana Jones famously does not like which animal?
39. Who plays Spider-Man in Sam Raimi’s trilogy?
A: Tobey Maguire
40. In Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away, what animals do the main character’s parents turn into?
41. Who are the other two princesses the magic mirror shows Lord Farquaad in Shrek?
A: Cinderella and Snow White
42. In The Green Mile, what is the name of the sadistic guard?
43. What was Andy Dufresne accused of in The Shawshank Redemption?
A: Murdering his wife and the man she was sleeping with
44. What do the kids call the dog in The Sandlot?
A: The Beast
45. Who was the first character to speak in the very first Star Wars movie?
46. What is the name of the spaceship in Alien?
A: USCSS Nostromo
47. In what city does Predator 2 take place?
A: Los Angeles
48. In The Lord of the Rings, how many rings are there in total, including Sauron’s?
49. Name every character that Mike Meyers plays in the Austin Powers series.
A: Austin Powers, Dr. Evil, Goldmember, Fat Bastard
50. In Who Framed Roger Rabbit? what is the name of the antagonist?
A: Judge Doom
51. Who betrays Ripley in Alien, and who betrays her in Aliens?
A: Ash, a synthetic, and Burke, a Weyland-Yutani representative.
52. How long is Wikus van de Merwe told to wait for Christopher to return and heal him at the end of District 9?
A: 3 years
53. What are the final words of Edward Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) in Shutter Island?
A: “Which would be worse, to live as a monster? Or to die as a good man?”
54. What is the first full-length animated film?
A: Snow White
55. How many official Disney princesses are there?
A: 13 (Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana, Mulan, Merida, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, Moana, and Raya)
56. What is the name of the skyscraper in Die Hard?
A: Nakatomi Plaza, or Nakatomi Tower
57. The Oscars were first presented in which decade?
A: The 1920s
58. Although not directly related, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End make up an anthology trilogy called what?
A: The Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, the Cornetto Trilogy, or the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy
59. In Guillermo del Toro’s The Shape of Water, where was the creature originally found?
A: The Amazon River
60. In Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, how does Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) claim to have escaped being marooned on an island?
A: He roped a couple of sea turtles together into a raft
61. How long did Star Wars fans have to wait between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace?
A: 16 years
62. What movie is considered to be responsible for the creation of the PG-13 rating?
A: Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom
63. What was the first movie ever to be rated PG-13?
A: Red Dawn
64. What is the fictional brand of cigarettes in Quentin Tarantino’s movie universe?
A: Red Apple
65. The Parks family comes home early from vacation in the South Korean masterpiece Parasite because of what?
A: A Thunderstorm
Name seven of the nine actors that have played Batman in a feature-length film (non-animated).
66. A: Lewis Wilson, Robert Lowery, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, Robert Pattinson
67. In Jumanji, Alan had to wait in the jungle inside the game until someone rolled either which two numbers?
A: 5 or 8
68. Megan Fox plays a succubus in this 2009 film with Amanda Seyfried.
A: Jennifer’s Body
69. What is the name of the place where Forrest Gump decides to stop running and go home?
A: Monument Valley
70. In Be Kind Rewind, how does Jack Black’s character destroy all of the tapes in the store?
A: He unknowingly destroys them after becoming magnetized while trying to blow up a substation.
71. What three movies hold the record for winning the most Oscars?
A: Titanic, Ben-Hur, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
72. Below what speed will the bomb attached to the bus explode in the movie Speed?
A: 50 miles per hour
73. Which actor or actress has been nominated for the most Academy Awards?
A: Meryl Streep with 21
74. Which actor or actress has received the most Academy Awards?
A: Katharine Hepburn with 4
75. What was the first sports film to win an Academy Award for Best Picture?
76. What was the first horror movie to win an Academy Award?
A: The Silence of the Lambs
77. How many films have Tim Burton and Johnny Depp collaborated on? Bonus points if you can name them.
A: 8. Dark Shadows, Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands
78. In Nightcrawler, what is the name of the company Lou creates for filming and selling footage of accidents?
A: Video Production News
79. How many actors have played the role of James Bond? Name them.
A: 6. Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig
80. What is the name of the Greek myth that influenced The Killing of a Sacred Deer?
81. What was the rating system in place before the 1968 Motion Picture Association of America’s rating system?
A: Motion Production Code, also known as Hays Code. Ratings included G, M, R, and X.
82. What two-digit number commonly appears in Stephen King’s work and film adaptations?
83. What happens to Rambo in the first film’s original ending?
A: He commits suicide at the police station instead of surrendering.
84. During the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, what holiday are Han Solo and Chewbacca celebrating on Kashyyyk?
A: Life Day
85. What is the first animated film ever?
86. What was the first film to have a post-credits scene?
A: The Silencers
87. Who is the oldest person to ever be nominated for an Oscar for the first time?
A: Gloria Stuart at 86 for her role as the elderly Rose in Titanic
88. Who is the youngest Best Actor Oscar winner?
A: Adrian Brody at 29 for his portrayal of Władysław Szpilman in The Pianist
89. Who actually drew the charcoal drawing of a topless Kate Winslet in Titanic?
A: The director, James Cameron
90. What film is the first to feature a toilet flushing?
91. What was the original title of Scream?
A: Scary Movie
91. What is the code in The Matrix from?
A: A sushi cookbook
92. What famous scene in Pulp Fiction was filmed backward?
A: The scene where John Travolta’s character revives Uma Thurman’s character after her accidental overdose.
93. What was the other possible name for Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story?
A: Lunar Larry
94. What Shakespeare play has been adapted to film the most?
95. What is the name of the first zombie film?
A: White Zombie
96: What was the first film to show a flushing toilet?
97. What is the most expensive direct-to-video (or DVD) film ever made?
A: Theodore Rex at $52.5 million
98. What film holds the record for the longest unbroken shot in cinema history?
A: Russian Ark is an entire 96-minute-long unbroken shot.
99. What is the name of the short film shot on a $1,600 budget by Sam Raimi that spawned The Evil Dead?
A: Within the Woods
100. Which movie was Disney’s first animated movie to use computer graphics?
A: The Fox and the Hound
101. How many versions of A Star is Born are there?