In this article:
- The Sims 4 lacks many features that fans have been clamoring for Electronic Arts to add.
- Because of slow updates and lack of user feedback response, many fans have resorted to using custom content and mods.
- While CC and mods provide a more fleshed-out gameplay experience, they also break the game. Hence these Sims 4 mods were selected for how well-maintained they are.
- These Sims 4 mods improve gameplay by making the game more realistic, supporting your stories, and making the game easier to use overall.
Sims 4 has been around since 2014, but as anyone who plays the game knows, it’s still woefully empty of key features that would make the game better overall. Sure, it’s the most customizable life simulator game out there, but it wouldn’t hurt if NPCs would stop butting into our Sims’ conversations or if debug was easier to navigate.
Enter Sims 4 mods.
These fanmade changes to the game’s intended function make playing the Sims 4 more exciting by letting us build curved walls, give Sims real personalities, and organize orgies.
If any of that piques your interest, here are some of the best Sims 4 mods for improving your game.
Sims 4 Mods That Fix the Game’s Most Glaring Issues
1. MC Command Center by Deaderpool
What it fixes: Lack of control over key aspects of the game.
- Create pre-existing relationships between your sims
- Change a Sim’s cause of death
- Better family management
- Control your Sims game’s population
If any of the Sims 4 mods on this list are an absolute must-have, it’s MC Command Center. This mod lets you do just about everything with regards to managing your Sims. It lets you create relationships in a few clicks as opposed to having your Sims interact over and over again just so they don’t forget their siblings.
This feature also lets you form pre-existing relationships between Sims so you can change pre-made Sims to fit the lore continuity of Sims 4 and Sims 3.
Speaking of pre-made Sims, you can also use MC Command Center to flag certain households as “Ancestral” so you won’t have to worry about your Goths and Landgraabs marrying townies while you’re playing with a different household.
Another great thing about MC Command Center is the selective autonomy menu where you can give your active Sims autonomy for self-care functions instead of having to do it all yourself when you turn autonomy off on vanilla Sims 4.
2. T.O.O.L by Twisted Mexi
What it fixes: Grid and lot restrictions in build mode.
- Edit apartment windows and doors
- Place objects outside the lot
- Fully free control of object placement
- Raise and lower objects far beyond the game’s usual restrictions
Sims 4 has the most powerful and easy-to-use build mode out of all the Sims games, but it’s still limited by the grid and lot restrictions.
Grid restrictions prevent players from making curved walls and lot restrictions force you to keep all of your items within the lot. This wouldn’t be a problem if not for the uneditable 1×1 strip separating your lot from the sidewalk.
With a few debug objects and Twisted Mexi’s T.O.O.L mod, you can close that gap and make insane builds like the Theed Palace of Naboo.
T.O.O.L stands for “take objects off lot” and the mod lets you do that on top of letting you edit apartment doors and windows, lower objects into the basement level, and resize objects beyond the options available with the [ ] resize cheat.
3. Slice of Life by Kawaiistacie
What it fixes: Sims’ lack of a complex personality.
- A Sims’ memory system that lets your Sim reminisce on their life
- A personality system based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Lets Sims get drunk
- Menstrual cycles that affect mood, skin condition, and energy levels
Electronic Arts can keep coming out with packs, but none of them can replace the depth that Kawaiistacie’s Slice of Life mod has added to Sims 4. Her mod is one of the most comprehensive Sims 4 mods and it covers everything from realistic bodily functions to fixing your Sims’ personality.
If you missed the Zodiac signs from Sims 2, this mod offers a good alternative in the form of a personality system based on the MBTI.
After creating a Sim in CAS, you can start playing the game, Shift + Click on your Sim to open the Slice of Life menu, and select a personality. Each of the 16 personalities affect your Sims’ inclination to activities, how often they feel an emotion, and which Sims they get along with.
4. Wicked Whims by Turbodriver
What it fixes: It makes Woohoo less kid-friendly, to put it mildly.
- Adds a menstrual cycle to your game
- Gives your Sims detailed naked bodies with sexual organs
- Lets you assign sexual orientations to your Sims
- Makes pregnancies realistic
- You can watch your Sims have sex
That last part is really the main selling point of this mod. Turbodriver’s Wicked Whims mod is (in)famous within the Sims 4 community for letting players make their Sims have sex out in the open.
Though a few old Sims 4 mods for were around early on in the game’s existence, Wicked Whims quickly took over because it had every “mainstream” kink you could think of.
Wicked Whims covers everything from heterosexual, WLW, MLM, solo, and group sex so you can make a household full of swingers. You can also give your Sims the Sexually Alluring trait if you want them to be the local sex deity or the Sexually Abstinent trait if you want one asexual in a sea of sweaty Sims bodies.
The mod gets annoying and creepy sometimes because of the Exhibitionism and Peeping features but that’s really a matter of preference.
5. Basemental Drugs by Basemental
What it fixes: It makes the non-alcoholic drinks alcoholic and then some.
- Turns Sims 4‘s mocktails into real alcoholic drinks with effects
- Sims can deal and buy drugs
- Lets you add cops to your game that will catch user and dealer Sims
- Adds cannabis plants to your gardening options
Basemental Drugs gets your Sims high and makes them look like they are. This mod includes dozens of new gameplay features like drug dealing, drug-making, and addiction. It’s one of the bleaker Sims 4 mods out there, but if you like gritty settings or just want to see your Sims chill with a plate of pot brownies, this mod will do the job.
Basemental Drugs can also spice up your Sims’ relationship with their parents and children with interactions for hiding drugs and searching rooms for them.
You’ll have to be careful with how often you make your Sims take drugs, though, as Sims can get addicted and die.
6. Better Build and Buy by Twisted Mexi
What it fixes: Dim light fixtures and the debug menu.
- Lets you edit the color and brightness of light fixtures
- Organizes your debug menu
- Adds filters to make navigating the Buy mode easier
- Allows for free camera movement
Sims 4 builders have two friends: the bb.moveobjects cheat and the debug menu. The problem is that the debug menu doesn’t love us back so it forces us to sort through the entire debug catalog manually.
Twisted Mexi’s Build and Buy saves you minutes to hours, depending on how big a build is, of picking out objects from debug.
Another big Quality of Life improvement is the free camera that you can use you take photos of your build from any angle or height. The mod also brings back a part of the Sims 3‘s customization features by letting you change the color and brightness of your lights.
7. World Maps Replacements by Filipe Marcel
What it fixes: Sims 4‘s boring map art.
- Changes your game’s maps to a more detailed, painted map.
Filipe Marcel’s map replacements are a minor modification that offers no gameplay or QOL changes. All they do is change the Manage Worlds view from the original Maxis-style to their custom painted maps.
However, these maps were game-changers back when Sims 4 had a grayed-out map for unselected lots and today, they make your game’s worlds look more polished and lived in.
8. NPC Control by Paulson
What it fixes: NPCs getting in your way.
- Assigns jobs to NPCs without having to play their household
- Stops the game from generating new NPCs
- Forces the game to use existing Sims for Postman, Maid, Fireman, etc. roles
- Controls pet population
MC Command Center is one of the bigger Sims 4 mods so it makes the Sims 4 run slower for players with more modest devices. If you don’t need all of its features and just want a Sims 4 mod that will keep your NPCs under control, Paulson’s NPC Control is all you need.
The mod helps your game run smoothly by restricting the number of Sims that exist at any given time. It also makes it possible for your celebrity Sims to go out in public without being swamped by NPCs.
9. Interactions Mods by KiaraSims
What it fixes: Expands limited interactions with people and objects.
- Work from home computer interactions
- Relationship drama interactions
- Greeting interactions
Sims 4 lets your Sims ask other Sims whether they’re a mermaid. What it doesn’t do is accuse them of being a golddigger.
KiaraSims’ Interactions mods expand the game’s object and relationship interactions to add depth to the way your Sims behave towards each other. No longer will you have to imagine your Sim fighting with their spouse because they’re cheating.
You can open the Interactions mod and let the argument progress naturally.
If you’re working from home and don’t have anyone around to suffer with, you can boot up Sims 4 and watch your Sim grow sick of Zoom meetings and work emails.
10. AOM Selectable Pets by brujah
What it fixes: Non-playable pets.
- Available in Chinese, Polish, German, Spanish, etc.
- Turns pets into playable characters
- Allows you to assign needs and behaviors to pets
I love Cats and Dogs as much as the next Sims 4 player, but you have to admit that it’s ridiculous how often they get sick. Having pets in this game can be harder than doing all the popular Sims 4 challenges at the same time.
Brujah makes it less atrocious by bringing back the feature to let you play as a pet. The option is available within the code of Cats and Dogs but was locked away by Electronic Arts likely because they couldn’t finish the feature before release.
This mod unlocks it so you can take care of your pets’ needs easily and give them preferences similar to the ones that humanoid Sims have.
11. Replacement Worlds by Nando Sims
What it fixes: Changes Sims 4 worlds into beautiful, country-themed settings.
- Map overlays turn your worlds into an entirely different country
- Changes the landscape of the game in all game modes
- Choose between Santorini, Edo Japan, Ancient Egypt, and Paris
Sims 4‘s maps can be a little too empty and plain which is why Nando Sims has taken it upon himself to transform boring locations like Magnolia Promenade to Paris, France. This isn’t a single mod that lets you change any world into any of the four countries, but rather a series of Sims 4 mods that let you change a set world into one set country.
With Nando Sims’ mods, you can turn Forgotten Hollow into Edo Japan and Strangerville into Ancient Egypt. There’s also a mod that turns your Granite Falls into Santorini, Greece.