Stardew Valley is not just a farming simulator, but it’s also considered by many to be one of the best RPG dating sims out there. Not only does the game allow you to form romantic relationships with NPCs, but you can also marry your real-life friends or romantic partner in co-op mode. So, what exactly does it take to tie the knot in Stardew Valley? Are there any benefits to marrying an NPC? Let’s delve into this step-by-step guide on how to get married in Stardew Valley.
Building Relationships With NPCs
Pelican Town has a diverse cast of potential partners, each with their own unique personalities and preferences. Building a romantic connection with them involves several stages, and here’s how to do it:
- Initiating Friendship: You should try and engage in regular conversations with your preferred eligible character. To deepen your relationship with them, always make an effort to give them birthday presents, complete their quests, and give them gifts at least twice a week.
- Reaching Eight-Hearts: Note that you can only gain a maximum of eight hearts with regular interactions with the NPCs. Once you reach 8 hearts, the next steps are important, so read carefully.
- Bouquet of Flowers: To deepen your relationship, gift the eligible character a bouquet to express your love for them. The bouquet of flowers can be purchased at Pierre’s General Store. Make sure you are at 8 hearts with them, or you’ll get rejected by the NPC.
- The Mermaid’s Pendant: Once your relationship reaches the 10-heart mark, it’s time to propose. Here’s how:
- Visit the Beach on a rainy day and find the Old Mariner.
- Purchase the Mermaid’s Pendant for 5,000 gold from him.
- Approach your preferred NPC, select the Mermaid’s Pendant in your inventory, and right-click on them to propose.
- When the NPC accepts your proposal, the wedding will be scheduled three days later. Your friendship level with the NPC will also rise to 14 hearts.
Eligible Characters in Stardew Valley
There are twelve NPCs you can romance. These potential partners have unique personalities and story quests you can explore. Let’s look at the list of eligible characters in the game:
- Haley: She is known as the most beautiful character in the game. Despite her looks, there’s more than meets the eye with this eligible character.
- Emily: Emily’s route is as unique as her personality. Her love for nature and spiritual connection make her a unique choice.
- Leah: A talented artist and a lover of nature, Leah’s story revolves around her passion for art and her desire for a simpler, more authentic lifestyle.
- Abigail: With Abigail, you’ll experience thrilling adventures that include exploring the caves and the supernatural.
- Maru: A brilliant scientist with a heart of gold. She’s the smartest and the most thoughtful character in the game.
- Penny: Another character with a kind personality. She is Pelican Town’s dedicated and compassionate teacher.
- Sam: Sam is your typical high school sweetheart. He’s the type to sing love songs to you with his guitar.
- Sebastian: If you love the emo aesthetic and want to brood all day, Sebastian is the one for you.
- Elliott: The most romantic type in the game, Elliot is a writer and loves reciting poems as his pastime. Also, he has the nicest hair.
- Harvey: The town’s dedicated physician, Harvey’s caring nature, and commitment to health make him one of the most reliable partners.
- Alex: If jocks are your thing, then Alex is a good option to pursue. Underneath his competitive nature, he’s actually a decent guy.
- Shane: Love red flags? Shane might be the one for you. Kidding aside, he has the best character development out of all of them, making his story the most meaningful and complex out of all of them.
Ultimately, marriage in Stardew Valley offers not only companionship but also numerous in-game benefits. Your spouse will assist with chores, provide you with food and gifts, and even personalize one of the rooms in your house.
Filing for Divorce
If you think your marriage isn’t working out, you can file for a divorce. To initiate this, here’s what to do: visit Mayor Lewis’ house. You should look for a small book, and you will have the option to file for divorce. If you decide to divorce an NPC, just remember that it can lead to negative interactions and make it challenging to remarry the same character again. Additionally, you can transform your children from a previous marriage into doves using a Prismatic Shard; permanently removing them from the game will allow you to have new children with a different partner.
Reviving Lost Love
Should you desire to romance your former spouse, visit the Witch’s Hut and pay 30,000 gold to erase their memories. This allows you to date and remarry them again. A hefty price, but it will be worth it to rekindle your love.
Marrying In Co-Op Mode
If you want to marry a friend or another player in Stardew Valley‘s co-op mode, you can follow these quick steps:
- Head to the Traveling Cart, which is located near the pond in Cindersap Forest. You can only visit the cart on Fridays and Saturdays between 6 PM and 8 PM.
- Once you’re there, purchase the Wedding Ring recipe for 1,000 gold from the Travelling Cart.
- Craft your Wedding Ring using a prismatic shard and five iridium bars.
- Once you crafted the Wedding Ring, approach the player you wish to marry and right-click on their character while having the Wedding Ring selected in your inventory.
- Confirm your proposal when asked, and wait for the other player’s response. If they accept your proposal, you will receive a heartwarming message.
Starting a Family in Multiplayer Mode
You might be wondering how to expand your family and become happy parents.
Similar to the way players initiate parenthood with NPCs, one of you will encounter a cut scene that appears during the night. Either of you will be asked if you wish to have children. Once the other player accepts, your baby will appear in your shared home.