Okay, so you got the war and now you’re looking for the hammers. Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader’s romanceable characters are all so different from each other and well-integrated into the bigger story of the game that we don’t blame you if you’re having trouble finding all of them. Heck, maybe you missed a few while you were trailblazing through the stars. That’s why we put together this guide to help you find where every character in Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader is and how to recruit them.
Recruit the Non-Romaceable Characters
There are tons of recruitable and playable characters in Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader, but half of them are non-romanceable. We’ll call these guys characters while the romanceable ones, we’ll call companions. Aside from that detail, there’s not a big difference between the character types. They all have personal quests that give you time to get to know them better.
- Abelard: You recruit Abelard in the prologue.
- Argenta: You recruit Argenta by playing the prologue.
- Idira: You recruit Idira by playing the prologue.
- Pasqal: You recruit Pasqal on Rykad Minoris. He’s your replacement Enginseer. Pasqal will be in the bunker with the governor.
- Ulfar: You recruit Ulfar by playing the Chapter 3 questline set in the Commoragh Anatomical Opera. After the first arena battle, convince the Archmachinator to sell Ulfar to you.
How to Recruit the Secret Companions in Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader
There are three secret companions you can recruit in Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader and they are Calligos Winterscale, Incendia Chorda, and Uralon the Cruel. Whether you get to recruit them depends on your alignment in the game.
- Calligos Winterscale: You can recruit Calligos Winterscale after meeting him in Chapter 2 during your inauguration/Magno Ascensio on Dargonus. Do not antagonize him and keep picking Iconoclast options. In Chapter 4, go to Quetza Temer in the Nameless Star system. You can pick up the ‘Hunting Grounds’ quest which will tell you to rescue Calligos. Agree to help him finish off the Aeldari.
- Incendia Chorda: You can recruit Incendia Chorda after meeting her in Chapter 2 during your inauguration/Magno Ascensio on Dargonus. Do not antagonize her and pick the Dogmatic options. Meet her again in Footfall during Chapter 4 and convince her that she’s off her rocker during the confrontation with Liege Tocara.
- Uralon the Cruel: Keep all the blade shards (a.k.a the shards you see on Thedora’s desk in Chapter 1). Keep collecting them and go full Heretical. In Chapter 4, put the swords together in the Chaos Altar in your room and make Eufrates II fall to the Chaos gods.
How to Recruit Cassia Orsellio
Found during the quest/s: Chapter 1: The Navigator, Looking for Trouble, and Secrets of the Navis Nobilite
Location: Eurac V
Cassia Orsellio is the heir of House Orsellio or, as NPCs keep calling her, ‘The Child’. She’s naive and innocent (by Warhammer standards) because of her sheltered upbringing in Eurac V. As a noble though, she’s still pretty haughty. You can recruit her by simply starting the Chapter 1 questline in the Rykad System. Along the way, you’ll learn about Eurac V and the mysterious radio silence on the planet. You can take your voidship there. This kicks off the quest flow Looking for Trouble > Secrets of the Navis Nobilite.
After arriving on Eurac, agree to work with Felek until you meet Cassia and her entourage. From there, betray Felek and invite Cassia to join you as a Navigator.
How to Recruit Heinrix von Calox
Found during the quest/s: Chapter 1: Gleam of the Final Dawn and Chapter 2: Tattered Spirit
Location: Rykad Minoris
While you are in the Rykad System, you’ll learn that Theodora von Valacious was tasked with finding an Inquisitor on Rykad Minoris and giving them a ride to Footfall. During the events of the Gleam of the Final Dawn quest, you will go to an Adeptus Mechanicus monastery. Heretics have gathered there and terrorized the local tech-priests. Explore the area. You should find Heinrix in one of the rooms of the temple.
Once you finish the quest line, you will take Heinrix to Footfall. He’ll tell you he’s leaving, but don’t worry about it. Just finish the Chapter 2 questline called Tattered Spirit. Some time after meeting the liege of Footfall, you will find Heinrix again at the spot where you board your voidship. He’ll say he’s coming with you again.
You can learn more about how to romance Heinrix van Calox here.
How to Recruit Jae Heydari
Found during the quest/s: Chapter 2: Tattered Spirit, Persona Non Grata, Wanted in Footfall
During the Tattered Spirit questline, you will be told to meet the liege of Footfall. When you arrive at the residence, you’ll see the liege talking to Jae Heydari. On her way out, she winks at you. This encounter starts the Persona Non Grata quest which will prompt you to look for Jae. Finish the Persona Non Grata quest to trigger Wanted in Footfall, during which you’ll be able to recruit Jae.
If you leave Footfall without recruiting Jae, but still plan to in the future, just make sure that you send provisions to Footfall after you finish the Chapter 2: World Shapers quest in Janus. Not doing so automatically fails the Persona Non Grata quest if you didn’t do it already.
How to Recruit Yrliet Lanaevyss
Found during the quest/quests: Chapter 2: World Shapers
You’ll meet Yrliet during the attack on the governer’s estate on Janus. The World Shapers quest will tell you to investigate the area for clues about where the rebel base and their leaders are. During this quest, you get to talk to Yrliet. Finish the investigation and then try to board your voidship. Yrliet will run to you and ask to go with you, offering to take you to the rebels herself.
Yrliet will lead you to the Forests of Janus where you’ll be fighting a ton of rebels. Towards the end of the map, you’ll meet Muaran, the Aeldari leader who’s behind it all. It is very important that you don’t threaten to kill Muaran right away. Leave Yrliet to come to terms with what her people are up to. If you leave her be, she’ll join the fight on your side. If you threaten Muaran and the Aeldari, she’ll become hostile.
After this quest, Yrliet will tell you the whole truth about her origins and offer to join you on your voidship.
How to Recruit Marazhai Aezyrraesh
Found during the quest/quests: Chapter 3: The Chasm, Suspicious Absence
Location: Commoragh Anatomical Opera
Though we learn about the Drukkhari early in the game, it isn’t until much later that we meet Marazhai. Marazhai is a Drukkhari that you can recruit at the Commoragh Anatomical Opera. You will meet him during the quest events of The Chasm as you will be fighting in the arena together. Simply finish the quest until it leads you to Suspicious Absence.
From there, there will be two events in which you can lose Marazhai. Make sure he doesn’t die in the Suspicious Absence and Soulless quests. As with Yrliet, your companions will be extremely prejudiced against Marazhai. Don’t let them kill him.