Even in the fantasy world of Genshin Impact, one can never escape the law. In the land of Fontaine, the nation of Hydro, its legal system is as convoluted as the real world, although here the line between a trial and a performance blurs. Despite the theatrics in the Court of Fontaine, Neuvillette stands tall as a symbol of order and justice.
Neuvillette is the Chief Justice of Fontaine and their one and only Iudex. His calm and mysterious demeanor hides a pool of secrets along with his ties with the Hydro Archon, Focalors. Appearing to be a cold and dignified man, he solemnly listens to all the states of affairs in the Court of Fontaine with impartial judgment. If disorder arises, when he deems it necessary, he himself will harness the power of the Hydro element, even without a vision, asserting his authority to bring forth judgment.
Justice must be served with utmost transparency, as clear as the purest of waters. Unleash Neuvillette’s true hidden power with this Genshin Impact guide.
Best Artifact Set for Neuvillette
Neuvillette is a Hydro Catalyst hypercarry that focuses on his Charged Attack to deal plenty of damage, leaving him as the main source of DPS in many team comps. However, his standalone damage will never be enough on his own and thus requires the proper artifacts set to reach his fullest potential.
The Marechaussee Hunter artifact set grants the following effects:
- 2-Piece Set: Normal and Charged Attack DMG +15%.
- 4-Piece Set: When current HP increases or decreases, CRIT Rate will be increased by 12% for 5s. Max 3 stacks.
Marechaussee Hunter’s 4-piece set is undoubtedly the best choice for Neuvillette. His kit and playstyle constantly consumes and restores his health, guaranteeing the artifact’s maximum benefit all of the time and allowing players to easily build up his other stats.
Heart of Depth
The Heart of Depth artifact set grants the following effects:
- 2-Piece Set: Hydro DMG Bonus +15%
- 4-Piece Set: After using an Elemental Skill, increase Normal Attack and Charged Attack DMG by 30% for 15s.
The Heart of Depth is the best alternate choice for a Hydro hypercarry that relies on Charged Attacks for damage. Its 4-piece set provides its user an increase in Hydro damage and a significant damage boost in Normal Attack and Charged Attack.
Artifact Stats to Prioritize
Passing fair judgment is a big responsibility that requires a lot of critical thinking and understanding of the law and its subjects. Speaking of critical thinking, prioritize his stats as follows.
- CRIT Rate/CRIT DMG (Circlet and substats)
- HP% (Sands and substats)
- Hydro DMG Bonus (Goblet)
- Energy Recharge/Elemental Mastery (Substats)
To ensure Neuvillette deals damage efficiently and consistently, acquiring the proper 1:2 crit ratio is a must-have. Fortunately, the 4-Piece Marechaussee Hunter artifact set provides a good headstart with CRIT Rate, allowing you to focus more CRIT DMG into his circlet most of the time. Neuvillette’s main source of damage is his max health, so HP% sands are mandatory for any builds.
Hydro DMG Bonus in goblet is a must to further amplify his overall damage. The Energy Recharge can remain in substats, but you would at least want to reach enough to provide him a sustained Elemental Burst cycle every team rotation. Elemental Mastery is simply the cherry on top, given that he will continuously blast Hydro on his enemies, making it a great bonus for Elemental Reactions.
Best Weapons for Neuvillette
Holding the highest position next to the archon of Fontaine, it is only natural that Neuvillette receives the best weapon in order for him to bring proper justice to those who dare oppose the law.
- Tome of the Eternal Flow (CRIT DMG) – HP is increased by 16%. When current HP increases or decreases, Charged Attack DMG will be increased by 14% for 4s. Max 3 stacks, can be triggered once every 0.3s. When you have 3 stacks or refresh a third stack’s duration, 8 Energy will be restored. This Energy restoration effect can be triggered once every 12s.
His signature weapon, the Tome of the Eternal Flow, easily sits at the top as his best 5-star weapon, as its effects are perfectly tailored to his kit. It grants Neuvillette an increase in HP, amplifies his Charged Attack damage, and regenerates his Energy. This weapon also provides the most CRIT DMG among all Catalyst weapons.
- Lost Prayers to the Sacred Winds (CRIT Rate) – Increases Movement SPD by 10%. When in battle, gain an 8% Elemental DMG Bonus every 4s. Max 4 stacks. Lasts until the character falls or leaves combat.
The Lost Prayers to the Sacred Winds lies second in the 5-Star weapon pool. Though it may not grant him HP or Energy recharge, its effect amplifies his overall damage the longer he remains in battle. Its bonus Movement SPD also allows him to easily reposition and kite his enemies. Additionally, its CRIT Rate secondary stat easily provides a significant head start in building his crit ratio.
- Jadefall’s Splendor (HP%) – For 3s after using an Elemental Burst or creating a shield, the equipping character can gain the Primordial Jade Regalia effect: Restore 4.5 Energy every 2.5s, and gain 0.3% Elemental DMG Bonus for their corresponding Elemental Type for every 1,000 Max HP they possess, up to 12%. Primordial Jade Regalia will still take effect even if the equipping character is not on the field.
Since Neuvillette’s playstyle would most likely keep using his Elemental Burst and require him teammates that can provide him a shield, Jadefall’s Splendor can work as a 5-Star weapon, providing him a good HP stat stick and bonus Elemental DMG Bonus.
Neuvillette is a man of refined taste and high standards, so there are only a select few budget weapons that would work well with him. Here are his best budget-friendly weapons.
- Sacrificial Jade (CRIT Rate) – When not on the field for more than 5s, Max HP will be increased by 32%, and Elemental Mastery will be increased by 40. These effects will be canceled after the wielder has been on the field for 10s.
While it is a budget weapon, you might need to pay up a little bit for this one, as Sacrificial Jade is one of the new Battle Pass weapons. With its CRIT Rate secondary stat and a synergizing effect for Neuvillette, providing him a significant increase in HP and a bonus Elemental Mastery, this easily takes the spot for the best 4-Star weapon.
- Prototype Amber (HP%) – Using an Elemental Burst regenerates 4 Energy every 2s for 6s. All party members will regenerate 4% HP every 2s for this duration.
For Free-to-play options, the Prototype Amber is the best go-to choice for many players for its utility and obtainability as a craftable weapon. This weapon provides Neuvillette healing and Energy regeneration, which his playstyle needs to maximize his potential. Plus it provides Neuvillette a massive HP stat boost, perfect for players lacking his HP scaling for building into too many crits in his artifacts.
- Ballad of the Boundless Blue (Energy Recharge) – Within 6s after Normal or Charged Attacks hit an opponent, Normal Attack DMG will be increased by 8%, and Charged Attack DMG will be increased by 6%. Max 3 stacks. This effect can be triggered once every 0.3s.
Ballad of the Boundless Blue is a limited event weapon for the upcoming event in the current patch of Genshin Impact. That said, obtaining its free full refinements is a huge plus for Neuvilllette as this weapon enhances his Charged Attacks and provides enough Energy Recharge for a consistent Elemental Burst cycle in his combos. If you missed the opportunity to obtain this weapon, The Widsith will be its closest alternative as a decent stat stick.
Neuvillette’s Talent Priorities
As the Iudex, Neuvillette upholds a sense of justice as pure and impartial as pure water itself. For Neuvillette to bring order and show his authority, maximize his talents as follows.
- As Water Seeks Equilibrium (Normal Attack) – Maximize this first, as this is his bread and butter. Neuvillette commands the tides to erupt into enemies up to 3 times, dealing Hydro damage. When held for a Charged Attack, Neuvillette will gather the power of water for a certain amount of time and allow him to hover around from his position. When fully charged, he will release a massive torrent of water, blasting all enemies in front of him in a big straight line, dealing continuous Hydro damage that scales from his max HP while also consuming his HP until it reaches a certain amount. This enhanced Charged Attack does not consume stamina and, during its duration, can move freely and change direction. When you cancel his wind-up, Neuvillette will simply consume a certain amount of stamina and deal a quick Charged Attack that deals Hydro damage to enemies in a line in front of him.
- O Tides, I Have Returned (Elemental Burst) – Neuvillette unleashes waves around him that deals AoE Hydro damage based on his max HP. After a short interval, 2 waterfalls descend to deal a smaller AoE Hydro damage and generate 6 Sourcewater Droplets within an area in front of him. Maximize this second as this gives most Source Waterdroplets, allowing Neuvillette to keep spamming his charged attacks.
- O Tears, I Shall Repay (Elemental Skill) – Neuvillette will summon a Raging Waterfall unto his enemies, dealing AoE Hydro damage that scales from his max HP. If this skill hits an enemy, it will generate 3 Sourcewater Droplets near that enemy. At certain intervals, when this skill is cast, a following Pneuma-based Hydro damage will follow up the Raging Waterfall.
The Sourcewater Droplets are key to maximizing his enhanced Charged Attack’s potential. Collecting it via holding down the Charged Attack while close to it, Neuvillette will absorb the Sourcewater Droplets and heal himself, reducing his wind up into unleashing his torrent laser.
Collecting a maximum of 3 Sourcewater Droplets will make Neuvillette skip the wind-up and will proceed blasting his laser. To ensure a clean continuous laser combo, use his Elemental Skill followed by his Elemental Burst. This will guarantee a 9 Sourcewater Droplet, allowing Neuvillette to become the pressure-washer incarnate for 3 times in a row in which by the time you finish all lasers, his Elemental Skill will have finished its cooldown, ready to prime the next laser—Rinse and repeat.
Additionally, Neuvillette’s passive talents amplifies his Charged Attack damage whenever an ally makes an Elemental reaction involving Hydro, stacking up to 3 separate Hydro reactions. He also passively gains bonus Hydro DMG the higher his current HP is.
Neuvillette Team Comp
Ensuring peace and order through law is a challenging responsibility that Neuvillette is open to assistance from anyone willing to lend a hand. Below are some of the potential collaborators Neuvillette can team up with.
- Venti (The best CC in the game and provides a continuous Swirl reaction)
- Sucrose (Budget friendly version of Venti)
- Layla (Provides Neuvillette the strongest 4-Star shield and Cryo application for Frozen reactions)
- Zhongli (Strongest shielder in the game, provides an omni-resistance shred against enemies and continuous Crystalize reaction)
- Beidou (Her Elemental Burst can synergize with Neuvillette’s continuous Charged Attack, and provide Electro-Charged reaction for Taser teams)
- Baizhu (3 in 1 shielder, healer, and off-field Dendro applier for Bloom based teams)
- Xiangling (Off-field Pyro applier for persistent Vaporize reactions)
- Barbara (Hydro resonance and a continuous healing, keeping Neuvillette’s health up for his talent passive)
Given his fair nature as the Iudex, Neuvillette can team up with any character of element so long as they can provide him protection from interruption, amplify his damage by making Hydro based Elemental Reactions, or by simply not taking the spotlight from him. Being the hypercarry takes a lot of field time that many off-field supports or sub-DPS characters are his best choice of teammates. So far, there currently no dedicated supports for Hydro characters or HP scaling characters but that may change in the future. With players speculating the Hydro Archon’s kit to be complementing his kit, this only means he can only get better as time goes on. With proper investments, team cycling, and mastering his combos, not even the gods will escape Neuvillette’s judgment.