Honkai: Star Rail (HSR) has been out for a while now, but you might still be a little confused about how the elements work in this game. Unlike hoYoVerse’s previous hit title, Genshin Impact, HSR doesn’t have a dynamic elemental system that interacts to create unique reactions that can produce crowd control effects or boost the ability to deal damage from a certain element. That said, the elemental system of HSR is still easy to understand all while bringing something new to the table.
What are the elements in Honkai: Star Rail?
Honkai: Star Rail has seven elements. Most of these are natural elements, much like Genshin’s Hydro, Cryo, Electro, Geo, Dendro, Pyro, and Anemo. However, there’s the addition of elements that draw inspiration from older Honkai titles like Honkai Impact 3rd. Here are all the seven elements in Honkai: Star Rail.
- Wind: Deals Wind DMG and produces the Wind Shear effect when a Weakness Break is triggered. Wind Shear deals Wind DoT.
- Ice: Deals Ice DMG and produces the Frozen effect when a Weakness Break is triggered. Frozen prevents an enemy from taking an action and deals Ice DoT.
- Physical: Deals Physical DMG and produces the Bleed effect when a Weakness Break is triggered. Bleed deals Physical DoT.
- Fire: Deals Fire DMG and applies the Burning effect when a Weakness Break is triggered. Burning deals Fire DoT.
- Lightning: Deals Lightning DMG and applies the Shock effect when a Weakness Break is triggered. Shocked deals Lighting DoT.
- Quantum: Deals Quantum DMG and applies the Entanglement effect when a Weakness Break is triggered. Entanglement delays the enemy’s turn and deals Quantum DoT.
- Imaginary: Deals Imaginary DMG and applies the Imprisonment effect when a Weakness Break is triggered. Imprisonment delays the enemy’s turn and reduces their Speed.
All in all, this means that Honkai: Star Rail’s elements boil down to dealing damage in one instance and dealing it over time. A few elements, such as Quantum, Imaginary, and Ice, have more special effects that interfere with the enemy’s ability to deal damage, however, they also follow the basic premise of dealing one big blow and dealing DoT if you trigger a Weakness Break using that element.
How do Weakness Breaks work in Honkai: Star Rail?
Weakness Breaks in Honkai: Star Rail is a mechanic that comes into play when you attack an enemy with a character wielding an element that corresponds to the symbols on top of the white ‘Toughness’ bar that sits above the enemy’s red health bar. Please note that the elemental weaknesses in HSR aren’t fixed per type of enemy but are generated for each unit, so you will have to pay attention to what symbols are indicated at the top of the bar.
When an enemy’s Weakness Break is triggered, they will enter the Broken state. While Broken, an enemy will become more vulnerable to damage, making your attacks more powerful.
Are there elemental reactions in Honkai: Star Rail?
There are no elemental reactions in Honkai: Star Rail, so elemental resonance and synergies aren’t a vital component of the game. However, HSR does have some elemental effects, which are namely:
- Wind Shear: Deals Wind DoT.
- Frozen: Prevents an enemy from taking an action and deals Ice DoT.
- Bleed: Deals Physical DoT.
- Burning: Deals Fire DoT.
- Shocked: Deals Lighting DoT.
- Entanglement: Delays the enemy’s turn and deals Quantum DoT.
- Imprisonment: Delays the enemy’s turn and reduces their Speed.
The Elements of Current Honkai: Star Rail Characters
There are currently 28 Honkai: Star Rail characters, each of which belongs to their respective Path and wields a specific element. Here are the current elements of each playable HSR character at the time of writing.
- 5-star: Bronya
- 4-star: Dan Heng, Sampo
- 5-star: Gepard, Yanqing
- 4-star: Herta, March 7th, Pela
- 5-star: Clara, The Trailblazer (The Destruction)
- 4-star: Natasha, Sushang
- 5-star: Himeko, The Trailblazer (The Preservation)
- 4-star: Asta, Hook
- 5-star: Jing Yuan, Kafka, Bailu
- 4-star: Serval, Tingyun, Arlan
- 5-star: Seele, Silver Wolf
- 4-star: Qingque
- 5-star: Luocha, Welt
- 4-star: TBA
Will there be more elements added to Honkai: Star Rail?
There will likely be no more elements added to Honkai: Star Rail, given the current information we have from the game’s trailers and in-game text. However, we are likely to see the addition of new Paths, a.k.a character classes, to the game, seeing as a trailer regarding the Paths and their Aeons describes extra paths in addition to the ones that are currently playable in the game.
Can you change your Trailblazer’s element in Honkai: Star Rail?
Whether you play Caelus or Stelle, the good news is that you can change elements used by your Trailblazer in Honkai: Star Rail. You’ll just have to keep playing the main quest in the game to unlock more Paths and elements. You will unlock the Fire element and The Preservation for your Trailblazer after finishing the Jarilo-IV quest line.